Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Martin Luther King Jr. Delivers His 'I've Been to the Mountaintop' Speech
Details of the Lesson
This lesson is designed for high school students studying history. It will take approximately 90 minutes to complete.
- Students will know the historical context of Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I've Been to the Mountaintop' speech.
- Students will understand the significance of the speech in the Civil Rights Movement.
- Students will be able to analyze the rhetorical strategies used in the speech.
The lesson will begin with a brief lecture on the historical context of the speech. Students will then watch a video of the speech and analyze it using a graphic organizer. Finally, students will participate in a class discussion on the significance of the speech and the rhetorical strategies used.
- Video of Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I've Been to the Mountaintop' speech
- Graphic organizer for analyzing rhetorical strategies
- Whiteboard and markers
- Lecture on the historical context of the speech (15 minutes)
- Watch video of the speech and analyze using graphic organizer (30 minutes)
- Class discussion on the significance of the speech and the rhetorical strategies used (30 minutes)
- Wrap-up and review (15 minutes)
Students will be assessed on their participation in the class discussion and their completion of the graphic organizer.