Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: The RMS Titanic Sinks After Hitting an Iceberg
Grade Level: 9-12
Duration: 90 minutes
- Know the events leading up to the sinking of the RMS Titanic
- Understand the impact of the sinking on history and society
- Can analyze primary sources related to the sinking
This lesson will be taught through a combination of lecture, discussion, and primary source analysis.
- Primary sources related to the sinking of the RMS Titanic
- PowerPoint presentation
- Handouts for primary source analysis
- Introduction to the sinking of the RMS Titanic through a PowerPoint presentation
- Discussion of the events leading up to the sinking and the impact on history and society
- Primary source analysis of newspaper articles and survivor accounts
- Group activity where students create a timeline of events leading up to the sinking
- Individual assessment where students analyze a primary source related to the sinking and write a short essay on its significance
Students will be assessed through participation in class discussion, completion of primary source analysis handouts, group activity, and individual assessment.
This lesson plan is compliant with Common Core State Standards for History/Social Studies.