Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: The Apollo 13 spacecraft safely returns to Earth after a dangerous mission
Grade Level: High School
Duration: 90 minutes
Learning Outcomes: By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Know the events that led to the Apollo 13 mission
- Understand the challenges faced by the crew during the mission
- Explain how the crew was able to safely return to Earth
This lesson will be delivered through a combination of lecture, discussion, and group activities.
- Textbook: Apollo 13: The Mission
- Video: Apollo 13: Houston, We've Got a Problem
- Handout: Timeline of the Apollo 13 Mission
Introduction (10 minutes)
The teacher will introduce the topic by showing a short video clip of the Apollo 13 mission and asking students what they know about it.
Lecture (30 minutes)
The teacher will give a lecture on the events that led to the Apollo 13 mission, the challenges faced by the crew during the mission, and how they were able to safely return to Earth.
Discussion (20 minutes)
Students will discuss in small groups the following questions:
- What were the main challenges faced by the crew during the mission?
- What were the key decisions made by the crew and mission control that helped them return safely to Earth?
Group Activity (30 minutes)
In groups, students will create a timeline of the Apollo 13 mission, highlighting the key events and decisions made by the crew and mission control.
Conclusion (10 minutes)
The teacher will summarize the key points of the lesson and ask students to share what they learned.