Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: Thomas Jefferson, the Third President of the United States, is Born
Grade Level: 5-8
Duration: 60 minutes
- Know the basic facts about Thomas Jefferson's life and presidency
- Understand the significance of Thomas Jefferson's contributions to American history
- Can analyze primary sources related to Thomas Jefferson's life and presidency
This lesson will be taught using a combination of lecture, discussion, and primary source analysis.
- Textbook or online resources about Thomas Jefferson
- Primary sources related to Thomas Jefferson's life and presidency, such as letters, speeches, and documents
- Whiteboard or chalkboard and writing utensils
Introduction (10 minutes)
Begin the lesson by asking students what they know about Thomas Jefferson. Write their responses on the board.
Explain that Thomas Jefferson was the third President of the United States and that he played a significant role in American history.
Lecture and Discussion (20 minutes)
Provide a brief lecture on Thomas Jefferson's life and presidency, highlighting key events and accomplishments. Encourage students to ask questions and participate in discussion.
Primary Source Analysis (25 minutes)
Distribute copies of primary sources related to Thomas Jefferson's life and presidency, such as letters, speeches, and documents. Divide students into small groups and have them analyze the sources, answering questions such as:
- What is the source? Who wrote it?
- What is the main idea or argument of the source?
- What can we learn about Thomas Jefferson from this source?
After the groups have analyzed the sources, bring the class back together for a discussion. Have each group share their findings and discuss the significance of the sources.
Conclusion (5 minutes)
Summarize the key points of the lesson and ask students to share one thing they learned about Thomas Jefferson.