Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: The Texas City Disaster
This lesson will cover the events surrounding the massive explosion on board the SS Grandcamp in Texas City, Texas, which killed almost 600 people and injured thousands more. Students will learn about the causes of the disaster, the impact it had on the community, and the lessons that were learned from it.
- Know the causes of the Texas City disaster
- Understand the impact of the disaster on the community
- Be able to explain the lessons learned from the disaster
This lesson will be delivered through a combination of lecture, discussion, and group activities. Students will be encouraged to ask questions and participate in class discussions.
- Textbook: The Texas City Disaster by Hugh W. Stephens
- Online articles about the disaster
- Images and videos of the disaster
- Handouts with discussion questions and group activities
- Lecture on the causes of the disaster
- Group discussion on the impact of the disaster on the community
- Group activity where students create a timeline of events leading up to the disaster
- Individual activity where students write a reflection on the lessons learned from the disaster
Assessment will be based on participation in class discussions, completion of group and individual activities, and a written reflection on the lessons learned from the disaster.