Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: The FDA Approves the First Birth Control Pill for Use in the United States
Grade Level: High School
Duration: 1 hour
- Know the history of the development of the birth control pill
- Understand the social and political context surrounding the approval of the birth control pill
- Can explain the impact of the birth control pill on women's health and reproductive rights
This lesson will be delivered through a combination of lecture, class discussion, and group activities.
- Textbook: The Birth of the Pill: How Four Crusaders Reinvented Sex and Launched a Revolution by Jonathan Eig
- Handout: Timeline of the Development of the Birth Control Pill
- Handout: Primary Source Documents on the Approval of the Birth Control Pill
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Laptop and Projector
Activity 1: Lecture and Class Discussion
The teacher will begin the lesson with a brief lecture on the history of the development of the birth control pill. Students will then engage in a class discussion on the social and political context surrounding the approval of the birth control pill.
Activity 2: Group Activity
Students will be divided into small groups and given a set of primary source documents related to the approval of the birth control pill. They will analyze the documents and prepare a brief presentation on their findings.
Activity 3: Class Discussion
Each group will present their findings to the class, and the class will engage in a discussion on the impact of the birth control pill on women's health and reproductive rights.
Assessment will be based on participation in class discussion and group activities, as well as a short written reflection on the impact of the birth control pill on women's health and reproductive rights.