Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
The Second Continental Congress Convenes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Beginning the American Revolutionary War
In this lesson, students will learn about the Second Continental Congress and its role in the American Revolutionary War. They will explore the events leading up to the Congress, the decisions made during the Congress, and the impact of those decisions on the war.
- Know the purpose and significance of the Second Continental Congress
- Understand the decisions made by the Congress and their impact on the American Revolutionary War
- Can analyze primary sources related to the Second Continental Congress
This lesson will be delivered through a combination of lecture, discussion, and primary source analysis. Students will be encouraged to ask questions and participate in class discussions.
- Textbook readings on the American Revolutionary War
- Primary source documents related to the Second Continental Congress
- Whiteboard and markers
- Projector and screen
- Lecture on the events leading up to the Second Continental Congress
- Discussion of the purpose and significance of the Congress
- Primary source analysis of documents related to the Congress
- Group activity analyzing the impact of Congress decisions on the war
- Individual assessment of student understanding through a written response to a primary source document
Students will be assessed on their participation in class discussions, their analysis of primary source documents, and their written response to a primary source document.
This lesson plan is compliant with the Common Core State Standards for History/Social Studies.