Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: Meriwether Lewis and William Clark Expedition
Grade Level: 5-8
Duration: 60 minutes
- Know the purpose and goals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Understand the challenges and obstacles faced by the expedition
- Can create a timeline of the expedition's journey and identify key events
This lesson will be delivered through a combination of lecture, discussion, and hands-on activities.
- Whiteboard and markers
- Printed copies of Lewis and Clark Expedition map
- Timeline template handouts
- Pencils and colored pencils
Introduction (10 minutes)
Begin by introducing the Lewis and Clark Expedition and its purpose. Ask students what they already know about the expedition and write their responses on the whiteboard.
Lecture and Discussion (20 minutes)
Provide a brief lecture on the expedition, highlighting key events and challenges. Encourage discussion and questions from students.
Hands-On Activity (25 minutes)
Distribute the timeline template handouts and instruct students to create a timeline of the expedition's journey, including key events and dates. Students can use the printed map to help them with their timeline. Encourage creativity and use of colored pencils.
Conclusion (5 minutes)
Have students share their timelines with the class and discuss any interesting or surprising facts they learned about the expedition.