Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: The First Successful Flight of a Hot Air Balloon
Grade Level: 6-8
Duration: 60 minutes
- Know the history of the first successful flight of a hot air balloon
- Understand the science behind hot air balloons
- Can create a model hot air balloon
This lesson will be taught through a combination of lecture, discussion, and hands-on activities.
- Textbook or online resources on the history of hot air balloons
- Materials for creating a model hot air balloon (tissue paper, string, glue, scissors, etc.)
- Whiteboard and markers
- Introduction (10 minutes): Begin by discussing the history of hot air balloons and the Montgolfier brothers. Show pictures or videos of hot air balloons to engage students.
- Lecture (20 minutes): Provide a brief lecture on the science behind hot air balloons, including the concept of hot air rising and the use of propane burners to heat the air.
- Discussion (10 minutes): Engage students in a discussion about the benefits and drawbacks of hot air balloons as a mode of transportation.
- Hands-on Activity (20 minutes): Divide students into groups and provide them with materials to create a model hot air balloon. Encourage them to experiment with different shapes and sizes to see how it affects the balloon's ability to rise.
- Conclusion (10 minutes): Have each group present their model hot air balloon and discuss what they learned about the science behind hot air balloons.
This lesson plan is compliant with the Common Core State Standards for History/Social Studies.