Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Lesson Plan: Amelia Earhart Disappears Over the Pacific Ocean
Grade Level: High School
Duration: 1 hour
- Know the life and accomplishments of Amelia Earhart
- Understand the challenges faced by female aviators in the early 20th century
- Can analyze the factors that led to Earhart's disappearance
This lesson will be delivered through a combination of lecture, discussion, and group activities.
- Textbook or online resources on Amelia Earhart
- Whiteboard and markers
- Handouts with discussion questions
- Computers or tablets for research
- Introduction (10 minutes): The teacher will introduce Amelia Earhart and her accomplishments, highlighting her attempt to fly around the world.
- Lecture (15 minutes): The teacher will provide a brief history of aviation and the challenges faced by female aviators in the early 20th century.
- Group Activity (20 minutes): Students will work in groups to research the factors that led to Earhart's disappearance and present their findings to the class.
- Discussion (10 minutes): The class will discuss the various theories surrounding Earhart's disappearance and analyze the evidence.
- Conclusion (5 minutes): The teacher will summarize the lesson and encourage students to continue learning about Amelia Earhart and other historical figures.
Assessment will be based on participation in group activities and discussion, as well as a short written reflection on the lesson.
This lesson plan is compliant with the Common Core State Standards for History/Social Studies.