Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Interactive Vocabulary Project: Word Wall
Learning new vocabulary words can be a challenge for many students, but it doesn't have to be boring! In this project, students will create a Word Wall to help them learn and remember new words in a fun and interactive way.
- Students will be able to identify and define new vocabulary words
- Students will be able to use new vocabulary words in context
- Students will be able to create a Word Wall to aid in vocabulary retention
Students will begin by selecting a list of vocabulary words from their current reading or language arts curriculum. They will then create a Word Wall using a large piece of poster board or a bulletin board. Each word will be written on a separate index card or piece of paper and displayed on the Word Wall.
Next, students will work in pairs or small groups to create a visual representation of each word. This could include a drawing, photograph, or collage that represents the meaning of the word. Students will then present their visual representations to the class and explain how they relate to the word.
Throughout the project, students will be encouraged to use the new vocabulary words in their writing and speaking. They will also be given opportunities to quiz each other on the meanings of the words.
- Poster board or bulletin board
- Index cards or paper
- Art supplies (markers, colored pencils, etc.)
- Access to a camera or printer for visual representations
- Choose a list of vocabulary words
- Create a Word Wall using poster board or a bulletin board
- Write each word on a separate index card or piece of paper
- Create a visual representation of each word
- Present visual representations to the class
- Use new vocabulary words in writing and speaking
- Quiz each other on the meanings of the words
Assessment will be ongoing throughout the project. Students will be assessed on their ability to identify and define new vocabulary words, use them in context, and create a Word Wall to aid in vocabulary retention. Students will also be assessed on their ability to work collaboratively and present their visual representations to the class.