Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Interactive Alphabet Wall
Learning the alphabet is a crucial part of pre-kindergarten education. To make it more fun and interactive, create an alphabet wall in your classroom! This project will involve crafting, organization, and even some technology.
The lesson will cover the basics of the alphabet, including letter recognition and phonics. The learning outcomes include:
- Students will know all 26 letters of the alphabet
- Students will understand the sounds each letter makes
- Students will be able to identify words that begin with each letter
The methodology for this project will be hands-on and interactive. Students will work together to create the alphabet wall, and will use it as a reference throughout the year. The project will involve:
- Crafting: Students will create the letters of the alphabet using construction paper, markers, and other materials.
- Organization: Once the letters are created, students will work together to organize them on the wall in alphabetical order.
- Technology: To make the wall interactive, use a QR code generator to create codes for each letter. When scanned, the code will take students to a video or website that features words that begin with that letter.
- Construction paper
- QR code generator
- Smartphone or tablet with QR code scanner app
- Have students work in pairs to create the letters of the alphabet using construction paper and markers.
- Once the letters are complete, have students work together to organize them on the wall in alphabetical order.
- Using a QR code generator, create codes for each letter. When scanned, the code should take students to a video or website that features words that begin with that letter.
- Hang the letters on the wall and test the QR codes to make sure they work.
- Throughout the year, use the alphabet wall as a reference and have students scan the codes to learn more about each letter.
To engage students and assess their learning, try the following activities:
- Letter Scavenger Hunt: Hide letters around the classroom and have students find them. Once they find a letter, they must identify the sound it makes and a word that begins with that letter.
- Alphabet Bingo: Create bingo cards with letters of the alphabet. Call out letters and have students mark them on their cards. The first student to get five in a row wins!
- Letter of the Week: Choose a letter each week and focus on it in class. Have students bring in items that begin with that letter and create a display on the alphabet wall.