Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Creating a Classroom Economy
In this project, students will learn about economics by creating their own classroom economy. The learning outcomes include:
- Understanding the concept of money and how it is used in society
- Learning about supply and demand
- Developing financial literacy skills
The project will be carried out in four phases:
- Introduction to economics: The teacher will introduce the concept of economics and explain how it relates to everyday life. Students will learn about the different types of jobs and how people earn money.
- Creating a classroom economy: Students will work together to create their own classroom economy. They will decide on a currency, create jobs, and set prices for goods and services.
- Managing finances: Students will learn about budgeting and saving. They will keep track of their earnings and expenses in a ledger.
- Assessment: At the end of the project, students will reflect on what they have learned and present their findings to the class.
- Whiteboard and markers
- Construction paper and markers
- Play money
1. Introduce the concept of economics to the class.
2. Divide the class into groups and assign each group a task (e.g. creating a currency, setting prices, etc.).
3. Have the groups work together to create their own classroom economy.
4. Teach the students about budgeting and saving.
5. Have the students keep track of their earnings and expenses in a ledger.
6. At the end of the project, have the students reflect on what they have learned and present their findings to the class.
1. Brainstorming session to come up with ideas for the classroom economy.
2. Creating play money and other materials for the economy.
3. Setting prices for goods and services.
4. Keeping track of earnings and expenses in a ledger.
5. Reflecting on what they have learned and presenting their findings to the class.