Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Exploring Media: Creating a Class Newspaper
Title: Exploring Media: Creating a Class Newspaper
Compliance: Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.K.2, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.K.3, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.K.6)
Subject: Media Studies
Summary: This activity engages kindergarteners in exploring media by creating their own class newspaper, fostering creativity, communication, and critical thinking skills.
Topic: Creating a Class Newspaper
- Know the purpose and components of a newspaper
- Understand the role of media in sharing information
- Can create and contribute to a class newspaper
1. Begin by discussing with the students what a newspaper is and why people read it. Show examples of newspapers and highlight the different sections such as news, sports, weather, and entertainment.
2. Explain that the class will be creating their own newspaper. Divide the students into small groups and assign each group a section of the newspaper to work on.
3. Provide the necessary materials such as large sheets of paper, markers, crayons, and scissors.
4. In their groups, encourage the students to brainstorm ideas for their section. For example, the news section could include stories about recent events in the classroom or school, the sports section could feature drawings of different sports, and the weather section could have illustrations of different weather conditions.
5. Once the groups have decided on their content, they can start creating their section of the newspaper. They can draw, write, and decorate their pages using the provided materials.
6. After each group has completed their section, bring the class together to assemble the newspaper. Help the students arrange the pages in the correct order and secure them together using staples or tape.
7. Display the class newspaper in the classroom for everyone to enjoy. Encourage the students to share their newspaper with their families and friends.
Assess the students' understanding and participation throughout the activity by:
- Observing their engagement and collaboration within their groups
- Reviewing their contributions to their section of the newspaper
- Assessing their ability to follow instructions and complete the task