Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Exploring Geometry through Origami
Title: Exploring Geometry through Origami
Compliance: Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
Summary: Engage seventh-grade students in a hands-on activity that combines the art of origami with the principles of geometry.
Topic: Geometry and Origami
- Know the basic geometric shapes and their properties
- Understand how to apply geometric concepts in real-life situations
- Create and manipulate geometric shapes through origami
- Apply problem-solving skills to complete origami projects
This activity will involve a combination of teacher-led instruction, hands-on origami practice, and group collaboration.
- Origami paper (square-shaped)
- Markers or colored pencils
- Chart paper or whiteboard
1. Begin the lesson by introducing the basic geometric shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle, etc.) and their properties. Use visual aids and examples to help students understand the concepts.
2. Explain to students that they will be exploring geometry through the art of origami. Discuss how origami involves folding paper to create different shapes and how these shapes relate to geometric concepts.
3. Demonstrate how to fold a simple origami shape, such as a square or triangle. Provide step-by-step instructions and allow students to follow along.
4. Once students have mastered the basic folds, assign them a more complex origami project that incorporates multiple geometric shapes. For example, they could create an origami animal that involves folding triangles, rectangles, and circles.
5. Encourage students to work in pairs or small groups to complete their origami projects. This will promote collaboration and problem-solving skills.
6. As students work on their projects, circulate the classroom to provide guidance and support. Ask probing questions to help them connect the origami process with geometric concepts.
7. Once students have completed their origami projects, have them present their creations to the class. Ask them to explain the geometric shapes they used and how they applied their knowledge of geometry to create their origami.
8. Wrap up the activity by facilitating a class discussion on the connections between geometry and origami. Ask students to reflect on what they learned and how they can apply geometric concepts in real-life situations.
Assess students' understanding of the geometric concepts and their ability to apply them through origami by:
- Observing their participation and engagement during the activity
- Reviewing their completed origami projects for accuracy and creativity
- Conducting a class discussion to assess their ability to explain the geometric shapes used in their origami creations