Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Exploring the Wonders of the Solar System
Summary: Engage your pre-kindergarten students in a fun and interactive activity that introduces them to the wonders of the solar system.
- Know the names of the eight planets in our solar system
- Understand the concept of the sun as the center of our solar system
- Can identify and describe basic characteristics of each planet
This activity will involve a combination of storytelling, hands-on crafts, and interactive discussions to engage the students in learning about the solar system.
- Picture books about the solar system
- Construction paper
- Glue sticks
- Markers or crayons
- Printed images of the planets
1. Begin by gathering the students in a circle and introduce the topic of the solar system. Show them a picture book that provides an overview of the planets.
2. Engage the students in a discussion about what they already know about the solar system. Ask questions like:
- Have you ever seen the moon or the stars in the sky?
- Do you know that there are other planets besides Earth?
3. After the discussion, distribute the construction paper, glue sticks, scissors, and markers or crayons to each student.
4. Show the students printed images of the planets and guide them in cutting out circles from the construction paper to represent each planet.
5. Help the students glue the planet cut-outs onto a larger piece of construction paper in the order they are located in the solar system.
6. As the students work on their crafts, provide additional information about each planet, such as their names and basic characteristics. Encourage the students to decorate their planet cut-outs accordingly.
7. Once the crafts are completed, gather the students together and have each student present their solar system artwork. Ask them to share one interesting fact about the planet they created.
To assess the students' understanding, ask them questions like:
- Can you point to the planet closest to the sun?
- Which planet is the largest?
- What color is Mars?
Observe their ability to identify and describe the planets during the craft activity and their participation in the discussions.
This activity aligns with the National Science Education Standards for pre-kindergarten, specifically in the area of Earth and Space Science.