Free Daily & Weekly Downloads
Lesson Plans on famous individuals and moments in history
Exploring the Wonders of the Solar System
Summary: Engage your kindergarteners in a fun and interactive activity that introduces them to the wonders of the solar system.
- Know the names of the eight planets in our solar system.
- Understand the concept of the sun as the center of our solar system.
- Can create a model of the solar system.
This activity will involve a combination of storytelling, hands-on crafting, and group discussions to engage the students in learning about the solar system.
- Picture books about the solar system
- Construction paper
- Markers or colored pencils
- String or yarn
1. Begin the activity by reading a picture book about the solar system to the students. Use colorful illustrations and simple language to introduce the concept of planets and the sun.
2. After the story, gather the students in a circle and have a group discussion about what they learned. Ask questions like:
- What is the sun?
- How many planets are there in our solar system?
- Can you name some of the planets?
Encourage the students to share their thoughts and ideas.
3. Distribute construction paper, scissors, glue, markers or colored pencils to each student.
4. Instruct the students to draw and color the sun and the eight planets on separate pieces of construction paper. They can use reference pictures or their imagination.
5. Once the drawings are complete, help the students cut out the sun and planets.
6. Assist the students in attaching a piece of string or yarn to each planet using tape. The string should be long enough to hang the planets in a line.
7. Create a large circle on the classroom wall using tape. This will represent the sun.
8. Help the students hang their planets in a line around the sun, using the strings.
9. As a group, review the names of the planets and their order in the solar system.
10. Encourage the students to share their solar system models with their classmates, explaining the names of the planets as they go around the circle.
During the activity, observe the students' engagement, participation, and understanding of the solar system concepts. Assess their ability to name the planets and their order in the solar system. Additionally, evaluate their creativity and craftsmanship in creating their solar system models.
Compliance: This activity aligns with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for kindergarten, specifically focusing on the Earth and Space Science Disciplinary Core Idea (DCI) 1-ESS1-1: Use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted.